Subject: Re: Displace Ripple ?
From: Jim Phillips <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:18:29 -0700

At 05:17 PM 4/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
>
>Hello,
>
>I currently have a pool water object that is displace using ripple,  I   
>added the beachball object and made the water the parent object.
>
>When the pool ripples the ball does not move along with it, what am I   
>doing wrong?
>
The parent / child relationship between objects works with respect to the
origin point of the parent.   Movement of the parents origin point will
cause a corresponding movement of the origin point of the child.  Since a
displacement map does not "move" the object's location, no movement of the
child is made.

I've done a scene with an object floating in the ocean, and didn't have any
trouble manually key-framing my object to affect a "floating" look.   My
object however was "heavier" than a beachball.  (More like a bouy).
Because of how light it is, the beachball will need to conform to the
surface ripples more than my object did.   If your number of frequencies is
low, you should be able to create a wireframe preview and see where to
keyframe the ball to match the "waves".    Use your spline controls
(especially continuity) to get the ball to "bob" correctly.   Hope this helps.
Jim Phillips   
[email-masked]
LW / DEC ALPHA / PVR / Photoshop